NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How to remove tape residue from filter?

After just cleaning my "Orion sky glow filter" ,with Dawn and wet cotton it looked great. I didn't use alcohol, as I think that someone said some filters have plastic, and alcohol might do harm. Alas a small piece of tape got attached to the surface. After I pulled the tape off, there was some spotty (gummy) residue left on it $@*&%... I don't know what to do now. Except add some alcohol to the Dawn bath. But I'm also afraid I might smear the tape residue around. Or Leaving it as it is, would only gather dust and dirt. Any help? Thanks, Pat

Too many stars to little time

I would not have thought the filter was plastic as most are made from glass, this then should have a protective coating to enable cleaning, the Baader Wonder fluid and micro cleaning cloth is excellent for cleaning filters, but whether it will dissolve sticky tape residue is an unknown quantity, a quick dab of turps substitute should do the trick, as this dissolves most sticky tape gunge even on most plastics, the article should then be washed immediately afterwords. If it is a last resort give it a try, as you say dust and dirt is going to stick to it. I, like most others will be intrigued to know how sticky tape got stuck to the filter surface in the first place? :)

Hi, I was refering to plastic inserts, not the lens. As for the tape, some eyepiece barrels have smaller diameters than others and the inside of my focuser diameter is larger than what it should be. So I add some tape, so the eyepiece doesn't wobble and I don't need to use the side thumb screw to tighten it in place. A little bit of tape got loose while cutting it, and the rest is history. By the way, what is turp substitute? Pat

Pat, if it is the plastic then by rights there should be no problem, turps substitute or white spirit, is what is used when you paint woodwork, for thinning purposes or cleaning brushes out, paraffin will also have the same effect on sticky tape :D

John.

Archived