NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW AZ GOTO Altitude motor slowdown

moflaher

HI:

I have experiences the well known slowing down issue of the altitude motor in an az goto mount. It seems that the problem is common, but I haven't found a solution. There is some useful discussion in this forum, but it seems that the problem is the motor assembly itself.

Has anyone solved this? (I have already sent it for repair twice, and nothing has been solved, although I have not been charged).

It seems that even they manufacter is a bit confused about this issue.

I FELT (though I didn't send mine for repair) it was (precisely and uniquely!) a MOTOR issue. I have owned two mounts of this type. The torque supplied by the motor assembly (to a final brass pinion) seems to VARY quite a bit! If you can persuade them to replace the... motor assembly unit? But just my opinion (and yours, I sense). :)

Thanks Macavity!

I agree, from what I read and your gut feeling, it seems to be the motor assembly.

It would be nice to hear from other users of the AZ goto mount if they experienced the same. My gut feeling is that this is a design issue, so the fault is probably more common.

I will discuss the issue with the people that sold me the mount, but I am afraid it will cost something, so not very hopeful.

Archived