SW Explorer 200p

Evening all,

i brought an explorer 200p which im trying to do the collimation,

i have a laser collimator but when i have the laser all lined up the lazer in the primary mirror the lazer is not in the center, is this right?

also is there anyway to make an eq3 pro goto mount steady enouth for long exposures.

and one last silly question..... is the polarscope on my mount suppose to be aligned with my main scope?

Thanks in advanced

Brian

Not quite sure what you mean with the laser? It is in the centre of the 'donut' on the primary? This shows that the secondary is correctly aligned. If it's not centred on the laser viewing window, you need to adjust the primary.

Follow this tutorial from Andy's Shot Glass. About the clearest guide on the web.

To make a mount stedier, try suspending a weight down from the centre of it, or filling the legs with sand, if possible. Doesn't make it too portable though!

The polarscope is suppoed to be aligned with Polaris. Doesn't matter about aligning it with the scope, it's the mount that needs to be polar aligned.

Hi Brian,

I wouldn't recommend putting a 200P on a EQ3, I have seen it done once and it wasn't very stable or safe IMHO.

I had one (recently sold) on a bog standard EQ5 and I would say that would be the minimum sized mount for visual observing you need for that scope.

For polar aligning remember it's the mount you are aligning to Polaris as The Thing has already pointed out but I would add - I found it is best to do this before adding the weights or the scope to the set up.

Cheers

Brian,

Are you using the 200P on the EQ-3 mount ??? - if so you're asking for trouble - the 200p is way over the weight limit for the EQ-3 mount. Some say that it's borderline for using a 200P with the EQ5, unless using it purely for visual.

I'm finding that a 200P on an HEQ5 is borderline, in terms of balancing, by the time you add heavier EPs like a SW 32mm Panaview.

I have no idea how a EQ-3 could possibly cope, even if you're just using the standard EPs.

Russell

I use a 200p on an EQ4 for both visual and imaging, no problems. Sometimes, the published limits are there to make you spend more!

An EQ3 might be pushing it, but give it a try. Add more weights suspended underneath and it might help.

TheThing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so i had a look at the guides suggested

And ive come across a problem, when looking threw the Plastic cap with hole drilled im unable to fit the primary in the secondary view whats the problem?

Thanks

Brian

Archived