NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ3 aluminium tripod compatibility

newman

Hi all,

The short version: is the EQ5 mount head compatible with an EQ3 aluminum tripod?

The long version or why am I asking. I do know that the aluminum tripod is much weaker than the EQ5 steel one, and I don't intend to use the EQ5 on it at all. But I am considering, after buying the EQ5, to take apart the EQ3 aluminum tripod as I couldn't help but notice that the construction is pretty much the same as those nice but pricey Berlebach wooden tripods? This got me thinking - I take the tripod apart, keep the leg locks and the adapter head (provided it's EQ5 compatible), and get some proper pieces of quality wood to make legs out of, and attach those. Basically I'd rework the EQ3 aluminum tripod into a wooden one, keeping a few non-wooden parts. Anyone got experience with something like this? Is it a bad idea for whatever reason?

Thanks in advance,

-n

• 7 months later...

Archived