Eagle Nebula

Hi All,

I have had some good nights out lately but am having problems with the Eagle nebula - I just cant find it, I can get the omega nebula easy no problems but just can not find the eagle, according to stellarium it is bigger and brighter than the omega or is that wrong?

any ideas?

Kev

Hi

In a word: Yes. The Omega nebula is considerably brighter than the Eagle nebula.

Often the mag given for the Eagle nebula is for the open cluster within it.

It is still open for debate whether Messier meant just the cluster or the Nebula.

The actual nebula is pretty diffuse and difficult to observe with small apertures.

Light pollution can really effect it making the nebula itself very hard indeed.

The cluster Is easy with smaller scopes but even my 10" struggles with the nebula from suburban skies. Sometimes refusing to show it.

As for bigger mmm! Maybe photographically its bigger but from dark skies the Omega is enormous whereas the eagle is still not exactly easy.

Try the Lagoon Nebula (M8) or the Triffid (M20) both stand out better in smaller scopes.

If you must go for the Eagle find a really dark sky this will help.

Good luck.

Regards Steve

No, nothing wrong. The Eagle is disappointing at first for the reasons that Swampy describes. However, there is cool stuff to see in it. In particular, the Pillars of Creation made famous by the HST. Here are some notes on observing the Pillars: Telescope Reviews: Seeing the "Pillars Of Creation"

I admit you will need a bigger scope to see them, but if you can get out to star party some time and look through a >12" scope then you should stand a good chance. There about 7 light years tall: quite a humbling sight.

Archived