Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ATIK OAG WITH 383L + QHY5

steve2310

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has got/used an Atik OAG with a QHY5 as the guide camera? I am considering moving to the world of OAG but I have concerns if the QHY5 is sensitive enough and also have concerns about the extra weight on the Megrez 72 and Equinox 120ED focusers???

Any experiences of OAG would really be useful before I spend any (more) money.

Thanks,

Steve

I use QHY5 and it works and usually there is a guide star somewhere in the OAG range. The only drawback is the CMOS fixed pattern noise.

As for Atik OAG - from what I see it can't rotate the guide head around the axis. Brightstar OAG or Celestron Radial Guider (and T-thread modded Baader RCC OAG) can move around the axis and that helps a lot (expecially for long focal lengts where FOV is small)

Price depends on the diameter of the OAG (Atik bigger for big full frame chips?) and also on the length (very short are very expensive). Brightstar or sometimes Celestron mods are the cheapest among those "good" OAGs that work. Semi sized - good for refractors or catadioptric scopes with big backfocus.

Archived