NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

dslr adapter?

Hi I have just bought a second hand nikon d40 (cheapest dslr I could find) because I would love to take some dso pictures with my telescope but I am a bit confused on what I need to attach the 2 together. I dont know if i need a t ring or a t mount or both?:D. Could somebody please shed some light on this for me? Thanx

Hi enigmacell

I'm no expert but from what I understand you will need a T-Ring like this First Light Optics - T Rings for your camera and according to the Meade LXD 75 manual, http://www.meade.com/lxd75/lxd75.pdf , your telescope comes with a T-Adapter (P.36). Having tried my canon 550D on my scope the biggest problem I have is getting the focus spot on, I think I might have idea on how to get better focus but thats for another post.

Tony

Thanx, Yes it does have a piece that looks like the t adapter alright. Just 1 other thing, my camera wont take a picture as it says no lense present - does the t ring fool the camera or do I need to tell the camera to operate without a lense?

I'm not that familiar with the Nikon D40, but if its the same as my Canon, there is a set of contacts on the lens mount that tell the body when a lens is attached, if theses are not in contact with an autofocus lens or some sort of adapter which shorts them, then the camera assumes that there is no lens attached and will not fire.

Tony

I currently use a Nikon D40. I just use a T-ring to attach the camera's lens mount directly to the thread on my focuser, ive not had any issues with the camera not taking pictures because it couldnt find a lens.

If you still have the message once your conected to your scope just check your in manual mode (M) its just a guess but that might make a difference.

Archived