Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tough decision on new OTA...

Hello,

My budget for my 2nd telescope is around $300-350, and I think I've found the two best options within that price range:

Astronomy Technologies Astro-Tech 6" f/4 imaging Newtonian optical tube

and

203mm f/4.9 Reflector Tube - Crayford-Style Focuser | Orion Telescopes

So with the Astronomy Tech, I get a very fast F/4 6" reflector which is perfect for imaging and already comes with tube rings, a dual speed linear bearing focuser, etc.

However, the Orion is a 8" F/4.9 reflector which is decent for imaging but comes with a crappy focuser and no tube rings (I would have to purchase them for an extra $30).

Tough decision.. I'm leaning towards the Astronomy Tech tube but I want to hear what the pro's have to say. My goal is to have a very nice viewing telescope that can also be used for pictures down the line (when I put motors on my CG-5...)

Any input is greatly appreciated! :D

-James

For me the deciding factors would be the size of mount it's going on and the intention of photography. The 6" is a better all round choice bearing both in mind, it's designed for imaging and the mount will more than cope. The 8" is big for the CG5 and you may get vibration problems when imaging particularly in breezy conditions. But it would be fine for observing on that mount.

Imho the imaging newt wins even with the smaller aperture - that d/s focuser is gonna come in extremely useful as well. You will want to upgrade eventually but by then you'll have a beefier mount like the HEQ5 or EQ6.

Alternatively - if you can stretch to the HEQ5 now - get then I'd get the 8" and upgrade the focuser :D

For me the deciding factors would be the size of mount it's going on and the intention of photography. The 6" is a better all round choice bearing both in mind, it's designed for imaging and the mount will more than cope. The 8" is big for the CG5 and you may get vibration problems when imaging particularly in breezy conditions. But it would be fine for observing on that mount.

Hello branktuk,

Thanks for your comments. The 6" does look like the better choice compared to the two with my current mount. However, I've just found a 8" fast F/4 Orion newt used for half the price of the 8" F/4.9! It's their 2001 model, and the F/4 newt is also Taiwan optics not Chinese optics.

Do you think if I were to add wooden legs to my CG5 and perhaps another counterweight it would be sufficient enough for an 8" tube, or is it just a matter of the CG5 being too small for that size tube period?

-James

Archived