Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dont like my canon 350D

Quatermass

If the mount is driven in RA then I would hazard a guess that the trailing is down to either or a combination of:

1) - poor polar alignment

2) - drive not tracking or tracking at the wrong rate.

3) - Scope not balanced correctly

My guess is more for poor polar alignment and or balance issues as being the cause.

Yep. All down to not balancing the scope correctly but I was deceived by the image on the camera display and didn't realize that you can zoom in to enlarge it so when I had that sussed out I was good to go again. I really wish there were more on line tutorials available that have some one showing you what there doing I find being dyslexic that really helps me out I hate wading through long nerdy waffling manuals. Looking forward to another clear night and having a second attempt. Its all learning a new camera. I think we have made up now.:D

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 350d is a great camera. Having been using EOS dslrs for years I guess I was used to them when I got one for astro stuff.

it will produce great shots if you stick with it. mine aren't great but if you take a look at the pics in the flickr full in my sig, 90% if them were taken with a 350d.

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Great shot of Orion there Ben your 350D is modded I notice does that make a big difference to the images you take? I am feeling better about my camera now looking at those great shots makes me realize what I can do with it.:D

Yes, as malc-c suggests I would say its poor polar alignment thats causing most of the startrails. Have you got a polar scope?

stan

Hi Stan. Yes I do have a polar scope and have yet to attempt a serious drift alignment most of the issues were caused last night by my own ignorance with a new camera setting and it was very cold last night as well brrr.

I loved your shot of m13 and so will stick at 30 second shots at 1600 iso for this one as I dont have timer for the canon yet and cant do a longer exposure then 30 seconds.

Thanks for the pdf and I was about to go back to the other thread and reply to you but you found me on this one..

I have a lot of subs of m13 not sure if I can stack them all in deep sky stacker if they came from my other camera though.

I really love this forum and all the talented helpful people on here thanks so much for your advice. This astrophotography lark sure is addictive might have to make friends with my bank manager again :D lol tonight promises to be clear skies so looking forward to taking the canon out again for our next date together ;) I will get my image of m13 looking better knowledge is power as they say..

The 350D is an excellent DSLR for astronomy work so you have chosen well even though it may not feel like that right now!

If you are prepared to control the 350d using a PC, you will find the whole experience much more intuitive and enjoyable and focusing will be soooo much easier, especially if you use a Bahtinov mask.

Yes indeed indoors out of the cold sounds good to me I am heading that way slowly and found out about the old Bahtinov mask last year made two of them and they really are a great help.:D

No worries mate, as you say knowledge is power, and I'm willing to share all of mine. Hope for clear skies tonight, it clouded over an hour or so ago here in Mendlsham ;) Its my fault though iv call in the cloud gods by buying a new piece of astro equipment from woolpit car boot.....an adjustable height bar stool.... er.... I mean obbs chair!!! :D

The Orion shot was actually the first astrophoto I ever took, the first week I got my scope and.mount. Still really proud if that one :-)

Mine was modded (sold it and upgraded to a 500d a couple if months ago) it makes a massive difference on nebulae. You get something like two and a half or three times as much light getting through from a nebula with a modded camera. Its far less critical for galaxies and clusters as starlight is much broader spectrum.

If you possibly can.... get it done.

Ben

Great shot of Orion there Ben your 350D is modded I notice does that make a big difference to the images you take? I am feeling better about my camera now looking at those great shots makes me realize what I can do with it.:D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I must repent the Canon 350D is a great camera far better then my lumix g1 in terms of the sensor chip and image I just needed to understand its functions a bit better and spend a few nights with it now a week later im very glad i got it :-)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Archived