Temperature Tolerance

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post and have been reading these forums for a while now but have many questions to ask, but I'll start off slowly atleast..

I am wondering about temperature tolerance with the upcoming winter season. I do use Celestrons CGEM 11" EdgeHD telescope, which has been excellent throughout the summer. I am concerned about any effects that the winter may have as I am just outside Toronto, Ontario where very cold nights can come into play.

Will I need to worry about the electrons or performance issues and should I avoid certain temperatures?

I've also been told that the grease may dry out quickly? (Is there any specific types of recommended grease I can use?)

Lastly, is there any recommended gear that I may have use of other than a dew shield?

I'd appreciate any advice

Thanks.

Hi Klesk14,

The coldest I had in Toronto was -23, coldest in Canada -52 in Jasper!! The collector plate attracts dew very quickly, you will need a good dew shield flexible or fixed. However you are going to need some heater straps for the main tube.

The electronics should be fine, if they get dewed up then let them warm up gradually after use. Good quality lithium grease will be fine just make sure it does not cake up from repeatedly going in and coming out of the warmth.

Wherever possible let the tube cool down for a while so there are no unstable air currents in the tube, and the corrector plate should attract less dew.

Stay warm! avoid the molsons! :-)

Cheers

i cant advise you much, but the grease in the drives ie azimuth and altitude might go hard if temperatures drop to much but i dont no how cold it would have to be as i dont no what grease is in there.also a corrector plate heater is a must.hope this helps

Archived