Getting camera orthogonal - Don't get it!

For those of you who read and helped on this thread I just knew it was too good to be true, you made it sound so easy!

So trying to get the camera orthogonal, pointing at Polaris and with a 5 sec slew during the exposure I was hoping that I would be able to get the star horizontal with my left and right arrows on the handset. Clearly wrong and I end up with the following image. Yes one of the trails (blue one in the centre-ish) is nice and horizontal, the others aren't - So which one do I take as the horizontal one as surely if I don't get it right the camera won't be square.

Using DSLR by the way.

post-18339-133877675078_thumb.jpg

Sorry guys, I have been so totally dumb! With the help of Als reticle and Live view I was able to get the camera so that the direction of the image corresponded to the arrow keys on the handset. Why I took tha silly image and was such a clutz I don't know!

But I do have another question. When I went to Vega, my left and rights were around the wrong way - Is this because it was on the other side of the meridian to Polaris? If you answer yes to this, I will be a happy, but very stupid bunny!!

Archived