Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellarium - British Summer Time

Astroegg

Just a quickie.. when my computer's system clock is set to British Summer Time and I start Stellarium then forward to a time beyond the end of BST (say in November) - when the United Kingdom returns to UMT (or GMT) - does it automatically correct for this or am I viewing the sky as it would be at BST? (ie as if I hadn't turned the system clock back at the end of BST?)

Stellarium is set to use the system clock on startup.

I don't think it does. It just reads the system time and the current offset from UTC. Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe we should try to step slowly across 3 a.m. on the cjange date and see if the sky jumps. My guess is it doesn't. But, as I said, I could be wrong...

Not much help, eh?

/p

Thanks P - it made me think straight and I have resolved my query...

British Summer Time ends: clocks go back : Directgov - Newsroom

The clocks will go back by one hour at 2.00 am on Sunday 30 October. Rather than 2.00 am, the clocks will go back to 1.00 am as British Summer Time ends for another year.

I fowarded Stellarium to 01:59 30/10/2011 and watched it go back to 01.00 again as the sky continued smoothly onwards - giving two seperate 1.00am vistas for that date... perfect. Interesting little exercise, but I guess this was a problem solved by Stellarium coders some time ago.

Archived