NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nikon D5100 / D7000

26Left

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of these cameras for DSO photography? On paper, they look good, with 14 bit RAW and good noise and low level light performance.

My D90 has served me well for daytime and AP, but It doesn't handle low light as well as I'd like, with noise in shadows etc.

I have a lot of Nikor glass, so I am 100% committed to Nikon. Don't want to start a Nikon v Canon debate.

Thanks,

Tom.

I have just recently got a D7000 but haven't had chance to try it for AP yet. I have used my D200 on several occasions with some reasonable results. I think Nikons are workable for DSO photography but IMO it is a lot of effort due to the lack of support software and issues of ampglow, noise reduction settings etc.

Next clear night we have, Ill be sure to try out the D7000 and let you know how it goes.

Both of these Nikon DSLRs are firrted with a new Sony 16MP sensor, Sony IMX701. It apparently apparently uses a 14-bit digital / analogue converter and has a 14 stop dynamic range. With high sensitivity and very low noise either camer should be excellent for astro-imaging.

ps I don't work for Nikon, just a keen photographer.......

Thanks. It was the new sensor and 14 bit support that attracted me to them. Amp glow might be an issue - it is a slight problem on my D90, but can usually be worked out with darks.

As luck would have it, I have managed to get hold of a D7000 for a few days, so I'lll give it a go and report.

I managed some time with this camera last night. Noise is lower than the D90. There is no amp glow and H-Alpha response is great. My target was M52 and the Bubble Nebula (NGC 7635). I think the results are good, considering I only managed 4 x 3 minute subs before the clouds rolled in, and there was an 85% moon lighting up the sky.

The wide shot has been scaled down a little. The Bubble is a 100% crop. The colours need some correction, but this was only a quick test and I'm not going to spend hours making a beautiful picture.

I could have fun with this camera :)

Cheers,

Tom.

post-26426-133877674143_thumb.jpg

post-26426-133877674157_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi 26left,

I have no experience in AP.

I have several nikon digital reflex bodies including a pair of d90 cameras.

I have used the d7000 on a weeks trial and it was a smashing camera for high iso shooting and it did feel more sturdy over the d90 with its alloy body.

I have a d200 also and the d7000 felt more like this in the hand.

For you live view would be important and the d90 could be much better especially with respect to AF.

The D7000 is not much better with regards to live view.

I decided to resist the temptation to go with the d7000 as the d90 is a very capable camera indeed. Trade in would only return £350-£400 and you have to ask yourself if giving up the d90 and paying extra £350 + premium to exchange is really worth it.

The d90 was a winner over my d200 for one reason.. info button.

I wear spectacles and this feature was a godsend as looking at the d200 small lcd is hard work nowerdays.Image quality ..there is not much in it.

Build quality there is a country mile of difference the d200 wins over the d90 on that hands down.

The d7000 is a really nice camera, i felt at home with it very quickly, but prices even secondhand at the mo are very high.

The 5100 is not for me,looked at one and didnt like it.

The much used menu button is too small and placed wrongly in my opinion getting anywhere within the menu was hard work due to the lack of buttons.

I was not at all sold on the swivel screen and the camera although very capable if you stayed in "green square" mode felt like a vtech compared to the d90.

I would seek more real opinions from SGL users of the d7000 with respect to real world AP use before i commit.

Chances are they had a d200/d90 before and maybe they could tell you if the open wallet surgery was really worth it for AP.

If I were you I would wait 12 mths to see if prices fall ,wait and see if a d7x00 is introduced( and it will !) and maybe then buy a d7000 secondhand from somewhere like MPB photographic in Brighton .The d90 is an awsome machine not at all a "has been".

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. I had a D90 for two years and was very pleased with it for daytime and astro. I went ahead and got a D7000 a couple of months ago (I tried a D5100 in the shop, and agree that it really wasn't for me, except for the swivel screen).

The D7000 has proved great for daytime (aviation photography) use. It's very similar to the D90 to use and only slightly heavier. The user defined settings are useful (U1 for Astro, U2 for aviation etc.). But, the autofocus is much much better on the D90 and the 3D really holds on to targets well.

I have only had a few chances to use it for astro, but I see a significant improvement. Noise is much lower than the D90 and this makes the images much easier to process. Hopefully I'll be able to play more in the next few days.

Your approach is no doubt better (wait for prices to come down), but I'm an impatient man, and I ended up with a good price when I sold the D90 on ebay.

I have a trip to Iceland next week (not an astro trip). Do you think I should take my new camera with me? - YOU BET! :)

My next door but one has one of these... We are in Preston so Wilkinsons is local... It's a fab camera but ISO is only as good as my old D90 , the Nikon D5100 by all accounts kicks the D90 into a cocked hat for high ISO

Thie ISO is something your going to have to really consider with astro imaging

Nikon B-Stock D90 Body

But the D90 at this price it's outstanding

..tuff call for people considering the same choice

It is interesting that I was put off in no uncertain terms by the swivel screen of the 5100 and 26left found this a worthy addition.

Also coco has noted the high iso capability of the D5100 against the D90 which could be a decision maker for some D90 users to change model.

Especially with regards to AP of which I know very little at all.

:):confused:

I find that the RAW imaging should be sorted out once and for all by Nikon.

I have used them(Nikons) for 30+ years and I must say I envy other brand users when it comes to RAW.

Nikon make changes/compression by in camera firmware to your raw images without even asking…

Nikon call it NEF , I prefer to call it NAFF .

I feel your pain of the open wallet surgery caused by impatience..26left .

It will take you some time of convalescence I would invisage.

At least you do have a very fine camera indeed in the d7000, which may help heal the wounds.

Coco, I am not too far from you .

Wilkos have the D90 at a steal of a price there.

It is a hell of a lot of camera for the cash and if new purchasers can learn how to go out of the green square and ask a little of it, and tweak its custom menu a bit along the way.. the D90 will deliver amazing results for a consumer camera given that pricepoint.

It is interesting to note the residual values of the secondhand D80 nowerdays.

It represents a bargain basement introuduction into dslr photography for the newbie at the mo.

Was and still is a very fine camera

Bang a bit of older af-d glass on it and prepare to be astonished at what it can do.

Archived