Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Weekend 30th sept - 2nd october

davy999

Well, an eventful weekend at the Norman Lockyer Observatory, Devon was had this weekend.

Our usual member's evening on Friday brought out at least 15 telescopes, everyone eager to capture some photons on this very rare clear Friday.

Setting up in plenty of time we then had a member arrive with new kit purchased last week, I then went to help and explain set up (balancing.. aligning etc.), can seem very daunting on your first outing, especially in company.

So after some time the scope was set and aligned and the chap enjoyed himself all night observing all sorts of objects (he had help to choose objects from other members I believe) and time for me to look at getting set up.

Ok, then who rolls up laden with kit? Steve from FLO (Martin said he was coming but until he arrives we can never be sure :)) )

Obviously needing a little guidance I said he could set up next to me and I would offer help and advice where I could (not that I am an expert by any means)

So. my evening consisted of finding something to image, set up an imaging run lasting a few hours and then go help anyone that needed help or pointers. Steve knew the basics, obviously being in the business for a while, but the odd tip and advice from me I am sure did not go amiss.

His face when the first Horse head Nebula image appeared was quite literally a picture, I am not sure he could believe what he had done. So this was until 5.30am and we decided the wind was too strong to continue (rather than admitting we were tired)

Saturday night, wasn't planning to be out imaging but as another member appeared also with his new kit, and needing help to set up I decided to stay on and help him, shortly followed by Martin (FLO) to appear also.. oh well who needs sleep.

So.. that evening was again taken up helping out the chap with his new kit and setting up some imaging runs in the mean time.(This was until 3.30am until my bed called me to it)

So a very disruptive weekend, all for a good cause, but I did manage to get some images for uploading, not totally happy with them and I will reprocess some at a later date but at the moment they are ok for now.

post-19779-133877671639_thumb.jpg

post-19779-133877671648_thumb.jpg

post-19779-133877671657_thumb.jpg

post-19779-133877671666_thumb.jpg

post-19779-133877671674_thumb.jpg

Archived