Taking the next step

Hi all,

I've had my Skywatcher 130pm for a couple of years now and have definitely caught the bug. Unfortunately I've not had the opportunity to get out except in the back garden. I believe my light pollution isn't all that bad (I can see loads of mag 5 stars unaided) and have seen some pretty fascinating stuff. BUT, I find my scope's limitations in light gathering, mount stability, etc. frustrating.

So, the time has come to upgrade. Now, I like visual observing and actually want to see stuff with my own eyes, but I do have a fascination to take the odd snap too (I have a Nikon D40) as I'd like to show others what I've seen. I don't intend (at this stage at least) to attempt 'real' astro photography - I realise I have too much to learn generally yet.

After finally discounting the Skyliner 10" dob (mainly due to the size and unlikely success with my D40 attached) I read around a lot more and have come to the decision that the Tal 200k on an HEQ5 GOTO would do everything I need.

Am I right?

I'm assuming that from my skies I should stand to see a huge amount more and much much more detail in the things I can already just about see? Also I assume I could attach the D40 to start my hand at some photography? I also assume it's not a bad platform to build on later?

Anyone got any better suggestions?

Also, is there anyone in the Bath area of the UK that fancies showing me what a better scope can achieve?

As ever, all help is gratefully received.

Wow,That is a big jump.....

:):eek::p:eek::)

I purchased a SW200P/EQ5 after my 130PM.

It is a fantastic scope.

Just dipping my toes into astrophotography.So I have recently upgraded my mount to a HEQ5.

Wayne

Yeah, I know but am unlikely to be able to upgrade any time soon afterwards, so thought I may as well try and get the budget past the wife in one go!

Funnily enough, the other tab I have open in chrome along side the Tal is the 200P. I was just worried about the size/portability and also wanted the HEQ5 PRO as I felt it would cope better if I were to change the OTA later (meaning the price difference isn't quite as big).

Are you dipping your toes with a DSLR or webcam? How are you getting on generally with the 200P?

Does anyone have experience of both scopes to offer comparison?

Thanks again.

Sorry, I should have read your sig. I assume both DSLR and webcam approach then. Assume the pics in your sig are your own work as well? Which are you finding easier?

I use both equally.

I use my webcam for capturing Moon and Planet images.

Because of seeing conditions(air currents..etc) you need to capture a lot of frames. Then use a stacking software (Registax) to combine all the best images to bring all the detail together for one sharp image.

My DSLR camera is used for DSO's.So you can set ISO & bulb for long exposures,to capture every fine detail.

I have found quite a few people seem to have the 200P/HEQ5 combo.

Wayne

P.S My galaxy name sig was taken from Galaxy Zoo,alas not my own work :)

Is it the standard 200P you have or the 200PDS. Does the dual speed focuser and the tweaks in focal length etc. make the PDS a better choice?

Also, I notice the 200PDS only seems to take 2" eyepieces. Can you get an adapter to use my existing 1.25" eyepieces in there. They're only Meade 4000's but they cost me my hard earned money after all...

As soon as you mention the possibility of wanting to image and given that you are keen to make the necessary jump from the start (good idea) then I would strongly suggest that you hold fire for a moment and get hold of a copy of Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) It is important in my view to have a good overview of what kit is needed and why you need it, which is what this book was designed to do. As you are ready to upgrade, this modestly priced book could well save you some money by avoiding kit that later on you might want to replace. Budget is important here and fortunately, there is plenty of good software out there that you can download for free - equally there are some others that will need paying for. Imaging can be exciting and equally frustrating and there is a steep learning from the start. I know you hinted at an interest in imaging but they don't call it the 'dark side' for nothing and will very quickly prove addictive in the nicest possible way.

So stand back, have a good read, understand what the cost might be to achieve the kind of imaging that will satisfy your expectations be it wide field (camera & tripod) webcam (planets & moon using any kit) or deep sky objects (galaxies & nebula). There's no rush as the stars aren't going anywhere which will allow you plenty of time to play around with some options with knowledge gained from this book.

Hope that helps

James

a couple of words concerning the fine 200k, its more of a planetary/lunar scope, and very heavy, they are also quite hard to find, i ended up selling mine without an advert as they are fairly sort after. If you want to image dso`s then an ED refractor might be better, but ED not so good for viewing

Archived