Moon setting early!??!!!?!

Hi everyone,

My EP's finally arrived in the post so I can now use the scope I've had for 2 months without using!

Anyway, started easy and went out and looked at the moon tonight.

OK, daft question................It's 7.15pm here and I have just watched the moon sink below the horizon (in the West). Shouldn't it be coming up for the night about now, not going away?

This time of the month here in Britain we're enjoying a moon free sky. It's the best time of month to view (unless your target is the Moon of course) as the bright moon isn't there to shine in your eyes and ruin your view of fainter objects like DSO's and planets.

It depends on which time of month it is as to weather you can see the moon at night. The Moon grows to full moon and then fades away through it's phases until we have another moonless night.

:)

download a free copy of Stellarium and you will be able to see everything that is happening in the night sky, even if cloud is blocking the real view.

He He, I haven't seen a cloud or a drop of rain in the last 3 months

Ooh, hark at her!

I've never had a scope before so have no idea what I've been missing. Tonight was my first night ever (well 20 mins because of the man eating mozzies out at the moment). I only saw the moon, which looked awesome, although with a lot of rippling round the edges which I assume was heat haze, that's what it looked like!

I'm now going to cover up and face the mozzies for more sky time!

Yeah atmospheric disturbance due to heat fluctuations isn't great for clarity of view.

Stellarium is a great aid for planing your night. also i use sat24 for weather predictions. It's a live satellite view of earth so you can see where the cloud is. I know you've not had any cloud for a while (lucky You!) we're having a good few days our selves right now - but without the insect problem :)

Archived