Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M11 or M26?

inkpen

Hi all, following advice in the latest Sky at Night magazine I thought I'd look up M11. After a few minutes fumbling with my 20x90 bins I found what looked like a nebula. It was smudge of white light like a faint Orion. Since I expected M11 to appear as a good identifiable cluster I assumed it was M26 (not recalling what M26 was). So I hunted for M11 with no joy.

So, now I'm assuming that what I saw was M111.

So, just for peace of mind. If I saw a bright nebulous looking smudge in the right place just down from Beta Scuti am I likely to have seen M11 or M26?

If it stays clear on Sunday (I'm away on Saturday) I'll get the scope out which will probably confirm it.

Given that M11 is brighter and larger than M26, it is more likely that you saw it. In your binocular (which, IIRC has a FoV o around 2.5* - 3*), M11 should fit in the same field as b-Sct; M26 should not.

So, now I'm assuming that what I saw was M111.

There is no M111 -- the catalogue stops at M110.

Archived