Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Replacement ep's for 127 Mak

M4lcs67

Don't want to be repeating what CaptainCaveman has said, but while I am in the market for a couple of new ep's to replace the stock ones that came with my scope. I am really interested in viewing the planets, nebular and have been looking at the Baader Hyperion 68 degree eyepiece and Celestron X-cell LX's. Has anyone had any experience of them? I don't wear glasses and have reasonable eyesight. Don't know if it would be best to just replace the standard ep's that came with the scope (like for like) or get a couple that are slightly outside what I already have so as to increase my available selection? Also taking into account my Barlow as I don't want to duplicate anything if I do attach the barlow. I know the Baaders are significanly more expensive than the X-cels, but they give a wider field of view which could be handy when getting a more powerful ep.

Thanks for suggestions

Slightly less expensive but the BST Explorers from Sky's the Limit are good. Would suggest the 12mm and 25mm as a start but I suspect that you already have a 25mm that came with the scope.

If the scope did come with a 25mm and it is OK then perhaps the 18mm instead. Giving 12mm, 18mm, 25mm.

They do not have the 68 degree FoV but do give 60 which I find is more then enough.

The hyperions are very good, just an alternative suggestion is cost is an issue.

Thanks for your suggestions ronin. I do have the stock 25mm ep that came with the scope and I have been using that the most these past few days. While the image is smaller it is also clearer and sharper. By attaching the 9mm one or the barlow it just gives a blurred image (probably down to the seeing though).

And while cost isn't really an issue I need to be realistic as to going out and spending loads on some new ep's when there will be inherant limitations of the scope that buying better ep's wont remedy. After all the scope only cost £400 so it would be pretty pointless in getting some top of the range ep's for a 400 quid scope. A bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

I suppose it is getting the balance right. Now I am sure that I could do better than the standard ep's that came with the scope (The manufactureres will always try and hit a price point) on the flip side there would be no point in spending a stack of money when I don't need to. You did mention hyperions??? I'll have to take a look at those as well.

Thanks again

Archived