NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pale GRS

DarkerSky

Got my first look of the season at Jupiter's GRS last night. Not so much a Great Red Spot as a Great Pale Spot.

It looks paler than last year I think. Could not detect much more than a pale duskiness to it. Mind you, my optics were rapidly dewing up so could have affected what I was seeing.

I just wonder if it really is paler than last year visually, or if it is more the difference in contrast. Last year, for much of the season, it was out on its own with an absent SEB, so naturally it was darker than its surroundings.

Last night was the first time I'd seen the GRS. Dew and a fine mist hampered viewing for me too. What time were you observing ? I'd just like confirmation I was seeing the GRS, which to me appeared as a pale oval, paler than the surrounding clod band.

If it's of any use, I've read somewhere that using a filter of the 'opposite' colour to the feature you're trying to view will improve its contrast - i.e. a blue filter for the Great Red Spot and for the belts on Jupiter.

This may just go without saying for you, but I'm a noob and I thought it to be an interesting idea. I've got one arriving in the post in the next couple of days. :)

Last night was the first time I'd seen the GRS. Dew and a fine mist hampered viewing for me too. What time were you observing ? I'd just like confirmation I was seeing the GRS, which to me appeared as a pale oval, paler than the surrounding clod band.

Yes, that sounds very much like it. I was out about midnight. I made a sketch, which I'll post up when I get around to scanning it :)

If it's of any use, I've read somewhere that using a filter of the 'opposite' colour to the feature you're trying to view will improve its contrast - i.e. a blue filter for the Great Red Spot and for the belts on Jupiter.

This may just go without saying for you, but I'm a noob and I thought it to be an interesting idea. I've got one arriving in the post in the next couple of days. :)

Yes, a blue, deep blue or violet filter will help with Jupiter's features. I use the Baader Neodymimum filter, which is just amazing at making it all sharper and more contrasty. :p

Last year the south equatorial belt had faded so that it was barely visible. This, to me, made the GRS stand out more although the planet as a whole looked rather odd and unbalanced to seasoned observers. I was detecting a pale pink tint to the spot last year too - possibly again because of the lack of the SEB.

Definitely very pale this year - a bit like a large pale "eye" staring back from the planet when the seeing allows it to be well defined :)

On the whole, it's nice to have the SEB back though, I think.

Archived