Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Clear night in ages...and school boy error made...

Digz

How annoying.

Last night was the first clear night for what seems like an eternity. It was quite bluster where I am so I decided to try some widefield AP on my home made rig:

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/140905-widefield-rig-mk-ii.html

The rig itself was great, easy to balance and set up. The annoying part was that I spent over an hour trying to find M31, but that aside I was also out to try a couple of other things like my newly acquired intervolometer and remote desktop connection to my mac from a netbook (will be the other way around when I get some Atik drivers on the netbook)

Anyway the plan was to set up the intervolometer to take 9 or so 10min shots one after the other with a gap in between, guide the setup and monitor from the house. This all worked to plan and I was chuffed at that. Now here comes the school boy error - my camera was set to ISO100 - doh :p:iamwithstupid:;)

So I have, what appears to be, 9 fairly decent looking subs but they are all at ISO100 so are probably lacking the detail I was hoping for. Im annoyed that after the first 10min trial sub I didnt realise that the shot lacked its usualy orange glow because of the low ISO setting.

Still, this got me thinking - I shot everythin in RAW which I know will give me about 4 stops of latitude and I wonder is I could process the RAW files into a Tiff before putting through DSS? Has anyone done this and was it any good? I know Im probably clutching at straws because the data isnt probably going to be there in the first place but I was soooo looking forward to improving on my M31 of last year.

Any thoughts are most appreciated.

I think that ISO setting will not change amount of signal received. It will be same no matter if its 100, 800 or 1600 (at least this is theory).

Recently I have changed my ISO 800 to 400 in order to reduce noise and I haven’t noticed any signal lose. My next step is to go down to ISO 200.

It would be interesting if you could show us results after stacking ISO 100 subs. I guess with proper post processing final results will be same as the one with higher ISO, or even better due to lower noise.

Hi Bamus,

What you say is very interesting - I dont know if I fully understand how it works, but if its right I feel a bit better about the mistake.

I will be sure to post my results when I have had a chance to process them at the weekend.

Bamus - Ill take a look at that later, cheers.

focaldepth - I do normally put my RAW files straight into DSS, but I was wondering whether I can process the RAWs outside DSS to get the most out of them or whether DSS would do this for me? I guess a bit of trial and error to see.

Archived