NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best grease ant bearing type for scope mount?

Hi all,

just wondering if anybody has any preferences for mount bearing grease?

I was thinking of good ol' Castrol LM but a lot of the articles online recommend a white lithium grease. I know LM is lithoium based but white it ain't!

The only white lithium grease I can find easily is WD40's 3 in 1 but this has a listed operating temperature range from -10C. Castrol LM claims -30 - surely this would be better?

Also, the original bearings were standard open ones but I have heard a lot of talk about crud and swarf making their way into them - would one of the shielded types be better - for the few pence in it, cost is not a factor.

I am about to begin rebuilding my stripped down TAL mount so any advice gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

J.

Thanks guys - I have ended up putting standard Castrol LM in. I have gone for shielded RA and dec axis bearings and they are pre-charged with the same so I am just going to accept I need to re-lube every summer (yes, I know that sounds dodgy!).

J.

Archived