Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter - 24/25 September 2011

DarkerSky

Jupiter observed and sketched in my 16" last night between the clouds. Really superb view despite average seeing (III)

16" x228 magnification

Seeing: III

CM1 - 243 degrees

CM2 - 289 degrees

Jupiter25Sept2011.png

NEB, SEB and EZ (!) all packed with features. Most obvious feature in the NEB was the now familar large dark oval dropping northwards off the NEB. Seen this a few times this year now. It's an interesting feature that seems to have a darker preceeding tail of material and a lighter area on its following shoulder. Other undulations seen on the northern and southern boundaries further along the NEB too.

SEB had its familiar dark northern component that ran the length of the band. Its southern component was less intense and contained several white ovals. The southern boundary itself was sharply defined by a thin line.

Amazing detail in the EZ. Most detail I've ever seen there. A thin line ran its length across the central-northern area. On its south side next to the SEB was a clearer zone. Within this clearer zone were two white ovals butted up against the SEB boundary, right on the edge of visibility. Also, some dusky material seemd to drop through the EZ diagonally from the SEB on the following side of the CM.

NTB, NNTB and NPR all well defined. STB was interesting too, possibly split into a northern and southern component on the following side of the CM.

All in all a great obs :glasses2:

Hi,

Just started my sky adventures with a Skywatcher 130. I like your sketch. Last night at apporx 2200, I saw one light to the left and 3 lights to the right of Jupiter. I know these to be the largest moons and I also realise they are upside down os actually the opposite way round - I think! Where can I indentify them for last nights positions and future positions?

Archived