Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Adding accessories to the Nexstar 8SE OTA

Hi,

Just wondering if it's safe to use any of the large prominent screws that are on the rear collar. Where the red dot finder was originally installed I notice there are at least two sets of two large screws (not countersunk), one pair I have used for a 50mm finder scope.

Since fitting the finderscope I have actually found it difficult to see which precise part of the sky I am looking at, because the magnification is so great (and my knowledge of local stars is still quite poor), I am thinking that I should probably try and fit the red dot finder as well just so that I can point in the general direction first, then take it from there with the 50mm finderscope. What do you think?

I am thinking that I should probably try and fit the red dot finder as well just so that I can point in the general direction first, then take it from there with the 50mm finderscope. What do you think?
This is exactly how I use the RDF and 9x50 finder on my scope. It simplified getting the alignment stars into view and shortened my alignment time dramatically. - It was a sort of eureka moment which meant I could get on with observing things rather than spend all night aligning!

As I pack my scope away when I'm finished with it, I remove the finder scope and red dot finder, so generally end up having to set up in the day most times to ensure they are all aligned before I try it on the stars at night.

I'm not familiar with your scope but does it not have similar holes either side of the OTA so you can fit a finder to the left or right? If you don't have suitable screws already in place, you may wish to purchase a red dot finder which is attached using double sided tape (e.g the Telrad or the Rigel Quikfinder)

Thank you for your response, I'm glad I am not the only one who thought of doing this.

The red dot finder would probably attach quite easily with some sticky pads or even velcro tape, however I have just now found that there are two screws on the other side of the OTA as you said which the bracket fits perfectly, I attached it now so will see how well I can use it next time out. :glasses2:

Archived