New scope

OK first a thank you to everyone for all the help, my deliberations reached a Zenith and the scope is ordered, an Orion optics VX10 1/10 F4.8 will be my wife's first scope. Still need to decide on which mount and EPs etc. so any suggestions most gratefully recieved.

We should have it just before the october star party - may well be collecting it on the way.

OK first a thank you to everyone for all the help, my deliberations reached a Zenith and the scope is ordered, an Orion optics VX10 1/10 F4.8 will be my wife's first scope. Still need to decide on which mount and EPs etc. so any suggestions most gratefully recieved.

We should have it just before the october star party - may well be collecting it on the way.

I just got a 2nd hand 10" Dobsonian and will be going to peak star party. (I dont think that the Manchester astronomy groups are that good epart from the Heaton park one and The Astronomy centre) I also live in Manchester.

That sounds like a reasonable mix. I read somewhere once that as a rule of thumb, the best EP for a given scope will be the one that gives a 2mm exit pupil (apparently this best matches the eye's ability to resolve detail). Apparently the focal length of this "optimum" EP is worked out by multiplying the focal ratio of your scope by two. Your scope's focal ratio is 1200/250 = 4.8 therefore 4.8 x 2 = 9.6 hence the best EP for your scope is around the 10mm focal length.

I'm not entirely sure how accurate this rule of thumb is but i think it probably works more as a rough guide on which focal length of EP to invest most in. I just got a 12mm TV radian which fits roughly into this guideline (my scope is an f5) so we'll see how "optimum" this proves to be. If i ever get a clear night to test it out.

Good quality low power EP's (around the 25mm to 35mm mark)will bring fab views of DSO's with your scope. Don't forget to factor in the cost of a decent nebula filter too for those hard to see nebulae.

Hope this was some help :glasses2:

Archived