Telescope Types - THE BIG DEBATE

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So if i was to geet a 10" dob what number would this fit into.

It easily encompasses the whole range although - as John points out - for practical purposes the upper limit is in the middle of band 3 because - at a magnification of 250x - the atmosphere of the sky tends to limit further magnification. This is mentioned in a more detailed description of power ranges by David Knisely: "This power range is sometimes compromised in apertures larger than 5 inches by seeing effects (ie: disturbances in the Earth's atmosphere which can blur fine detail)."

That's not really a problem, since (at 250x) that's already plenty of magnification for planetary and double-star observing anyway. Once in a while you'll get lucky (usually around 2 in the morning, I find) when the air is very still, and you may be able to use even more. Earlier this year when observing Saturn, there was a night when 360x was the best magnification for me - even though that's right at the top end of what's possible with a Mak 180. Normally in my scope, 360x is a complete mess - but not that night though. :)

Note that David's ranges are slightly different to mine; such figures are rough, and mine are easier to remember :)

Some people prefer to think of power ranges in terms of exit-pupil (the width of the beams of light leaving the eyepiece), in which case of my earlier list would be:

1. 6-3 mm - for open clusters and general sky-sweeping
  2. 3-1.5 mm - for galaxies, nebulae and globular clusters
  3. 1.5-0.75 mm* - for lunar and planetary observing
  4. 0.75-0.38 mm - for double stars

* note that this figure (0.75) corresponds to the paragraph "Take your focal ratio, and multiply it by 3/4..." in The Warthog's seminal post Eyepieces - the very least you need.

Archived