NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Owl Nebula

Andrew

Haven't been out for a few nights so here's a brief report from last Tues (10th). Seeing was better than it had been for a while (Cassini pretty sharp). Limiting magnitude about 5. Spent some time studying M97 (the Owl Nebula). Without a filter this was very faint, even in a 12" scope. However, with the OIII filter it was extremely bright. Roughly circular in shape, 3' across with slightly ragged edges. No sign of the central star. 'Eyes' were periodically seen with averted vision. At times these were only suspected based on the mottled appearance of the nebula. However, less frequently their location and shape became clearer, not so much as distinct circular features, more as a darker region with an hour glass shape, bordered by wedges of brighter nebulosity on either side. Overall this gave an impression of something like the dumbell nebula inverted. Very interesting object ~ definitely worth a look under darker skies.

image.jpg

Thats an interesting report Andrew and a very nice drawing. I've seen the Owl through a 90mm refractor using a Baader UHC-S filter - not to difficult to find when you know where to look but no details at that apeture of course. Your report has motivated me to have a look at it again using my C8 SCT and my newly acquired OIII filter :D

Thanks,

John

Archived