Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece and filter choice for skywatcher mak 90mm

(Newbie alert)I have a skywatcher 90mm mak 1250mm(this is my second scope ,the first one was rubbish) it came with a 10mm and a 20mm eyepiece .With the two eyepieces I have I get 125x and 62.5x , From what I have read you can get 60x per inch of app. so this being a mak I presume that I have 180x for a max (approx 3") which is probably a 6.3 ish eyepiece and then for wide field I was thinking of a 40mm .

Advice wanted on what eyepieces to get ,anybody have any first hand xp with this scope with regards to the max magnification.

I would like to get a good filter for saturn and a good filter for nebula so what would give the best results.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

They are a very nice scope - Until recently I had one myself. I think your estimation for the maximum magnification ~200x is about right. More than that, the image becomes dim and (UK) "seeing" starts to play a significant part. Since the scope is of long focal length, you can generally use fairly modest (budget) eyepieces. As a start, some mid range (Skywatcher "Super" etc.) Plossls will be a step up from the default (albeit not bad) eyepieces. A series e.g. 6mm, 10mm, 16mm, 25mm (with many variations!) is a possibility. With this e.g. a 2x barlow can explore the intermediate values. Note however that, with a 1.25" diagonal, the lowest power / maximum field will be obtained with e.g. a 32mm Plossl. The 40mm, though usable and lower in power will only give a narrow appartent field of view due to the intrinsic limitations of eyepiece diameter. :D

Colour Filters are perhaps not THAT essential, and subjective, but you may (like me) be unable to resist. The Antares 1.25" series are reasonably inexpensive. As a general "does all" filter you might rather investigate the Baader "Contrast" Filter, which does pretty much what the name implies - increases contrast, rather than specifically colouring the image as well. For a general review of (colour) filter purposes and (not atypical) slightly lukewarm opinion re. their use see:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/astronomyhks/chapter/hack58.pdf

Thanks for the replies, the eyepices that came with the scope have super printed on them and they have a rubber eye cup, they allso look blue as though they are coated.I purchased the scope second hand so presumably these were not the original ones.

It looks like I will get a 6mm ,32mm to add to what I have at the moment then.

Archived