Help deciding new scope please

Hi

I'm coming back to astronomy after some time out due to personal problems.

I'm cursed with limited sky from my back garden, as we all are, but I'm looking for a scope mainly for visual dso work but may later add imaging.

Previously I had a lx90 which was good and I'm looking for similar qualities such as ease of set up and goto. I saw the ad for the Meade LS 8", which seemed great but on research I found bad comments on it's alignment process which needed 180 deg clear sky to work. I'd like to add iPad control from sky safari but the LS is not compatable.

I thought about a purchase from the celestron range, feed back on that would be welcome.

I would greatly value any suggestion

Tony

For visual DSO stuff I suspect that many people will recommend a large apature (Skywatcher) Dob. These are available with GOTO (e.g. top of the range is First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 400P FlexTube GOTO).

The Celestron C9.25 and C11 seem to get favourable reviews on here, but at f/10 you'd need a focal reducer for larger DSOs. I have read that these will be phased out in favour of the EdgeHD scopes but not sure if that's true.

Archived