NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice on suitable camping site needed (NorthEast)

Astrogeordie

Hiya,

for years it had been tradition for me and my partner to go to Kielder Forest for a forthnight around new moon. There we had a place with a large chalet where the scopes were safely stored, and they could be just carried out of the door at clear nights into pitch darkness.

Now I found out that this place is booked out for 2012 - my astro holiday is shattered ! :(;)

Now I think about alternatives ... other log cabin sites are quite expensive and/or light polluted. The problem does not get less complicated by the fact I do not have a car. However I have a large tent acquired for star parties (called the VLT for Very Large Tent :)), so I wonder if anybody knows a camping site in the North East that ...

... is dark

... has electric hook ups

... has the possibility of safe storage of equipment

... has local amenities within cycling distance (I do not have a car)

Maybe I should get a camper van ... but £££ --> Stuffed.

Any ideas ?

Hi,

thanks for your comments. I am now focusing on log cabins or cottages. The scopes got transported by a taxi bus my partner and myself hire for the trip down to Kielder every year. That is brilliant as there is enough space for loads of gear and even a trailer for the bicycles and tripods. The taxi guy knows us well and he charges reasonably for having to do the 60 mile round trip twice.

So the only scope transport left is the few meters out of the chalet to the grass. It is so near I can just lay a cable out to get the mounts powered. Really ideal.

Archived