Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW Mak 127 and a DSLR and a crayford and a ...

scoobymike

Does anyone know what I need to connect my Nikon dslr to my SW 127 Mak? I know I'll need a T-ring, but will this screw straight onto the back of the scope (once I've taken the diagonal out)? I seem to remember reading that people have bought sct adaptors but can't find the relevant threads to confirm if I need this.

Also, I have read that some people 'lock' the mirror and use a secondary focuser (ie a crayford) that screws into the back of the tube, is this necessary, or is it a convenience thing (the focuser is not currently fantastic!)?

I really want to have a play at photography without (initially:D) spending several thousands if I can, so getting what I have working will give me a good idea of whether this is for me.

Thanks!

Hi Mike,

I have a Skywatcher Mak127 and bought an adapter which I believe is a t-ring to 58mm adapter for a Panasonic FZ-30, worth looking for KOOD adapters as this is what I actually have (the shop covered up the brand using black marker pen). spent £20 on it but found it on the web for £8 from a camera shop. The T-thread (46mm) is on the end of the part into which the diagonal fits, I have spent a lot of time being confused about it. The other thread is what ever is needed for your particular camera.

I was seriously looking at fitting the SCT adapter for the 127 to allow a crayford focuser to be fitted as I am working towards full remote control and the auto focusers available seem only to be for the crayford type of focuser and quite an expensive option. I've been lucky and a guy I know who is into astro-photography has designed a stepper motor based focus controller (Sharpsky) which I have built and will add onto the scope . The toughest bit is mounting it all but it is still a work in progress :glasses2:....

Hope this helps.

Pete

Archived