NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

3-dimensional star map?

NAFK

Is there any such thing?

I'm very interested in having a look at the position of the stars of the major constellations within the milky way. For example, its very tempting to picture the constellations as distinct entities or self-contained systems. Of course, by and large this isn't the case and the 2-dimensional, constellational representation of the night sky is just a very useful deception.

To illustrate the point (to clear it up in my head more than anything, this will be common knowledge around here) in Orion, say, the star Bellatrix (Orion's "left" shoulder) is closer to Earth than it is to Betelgeuse. In fact, Betelgeuse is around two and a half times as distant as Bellatrix. And the central star of Orion's belt - Alnilam - is more than twice as distant again. So there is actually no exclusive physical group of stars represented by what we know as Orion. I think that makes sense!?

Has anyone created an application that allows us to explore the night sky from this perspective? Of course, it would be worse than useless for the practical astronomer, but I think it would be interesting nonetheless.

Archived