Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moonlight effects on astrophotography?

swlloyd3

Looks like I may get some good hours of clear sky tonight and wanted to try out imaging the Andromeda galaxy @ 200mm...

Only problem is that as the clouds have rolled out the moon has rolled in :)

Do you think the moon is far too close to this object to be able to get any sort of good image for tonight?

If so does anybody have any other recommendations?

I was thinking of M101 @ 200mm giving super wide angle as its opposite the full moon but I reckon where I live I would need at least 5 hours plus to get anything half decent!

Thanks.

Ste.

I had a go at M31 during the last full moon with a DSLR and no filters. Only with 30 second subs though. I think the picture came out ok considering but there was a noticeable glow from one side of the frame.

I had my first go at guiding last night when the moon was up and I was shocked at what just a 3min exposure looked like. It was almost completely white! Even though I was shooting M51, in a completely different area of the sky to the moon.

Archived