detached prom 11-9-2011

devilgas

ok, first go at putting an image on SGL. up early to watch rugby, it was sunny. quick chimp look through the PST. saw a detached prom. ok, time to set it all up properly.

i'm still struggling with getting decent detail as seen in others work. probably down to using a dslr? constructive / destructive comments welcome as is any advice on post processing.

anyway, it was the first decent detached prom i'd seen.....

20110911_0915.jpg

hi kev,

just using red channel for mono. the above image is a composite of 2 exposures - 1 for the proms, the other for the surface 'detail'. pp done in photoshop. false colour applied using individual channels in curves control.

i'd upped the iso on the 40d to 400 as it was a bit windy so wanted a faster shutter. was using the cemax 12mm ep. i've definately hit an impasse on my capturing / pp now as most images come out similar to the above.

Before I switched to using a DMK41 I used a Canon DSLR with a Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom EP which gave me some reasonable results using this routine PST Solar Imaging PhotosbyKev

If you can shoot multiple images of the proms and disk detail you might get better results pushing them through Registax as separate groups and then combining them

ok, struggling big time with registax. do you know of any tutorials on the web that'll help me through it? have a number of images that i can stack, but don't know where to start with registax (downloaded ages ago, but was way over my head)

Archived