NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Had to have a go at the latest supernova

Catanonia

Really rubbish weather at the moment, howling winds and a low down bad light poluution position for M101 in my backyard. But last night there were a few clear patches and I was determined to get this supernova in the bag before it dimmed away.

So I got 45 mins in RGB (3 x 5min 2xbin for each channel)

The gradients were horrible, the conditions were pants and the OAG struggled, but I got 45 mins workable subs out of about 2 hours data.

Heavily processed with PI and CS5 to bring this image to something even worth looking at, but it looks like I got it.

Done on the MN190 and QHY9 Mono with 2inch RGB filters.

Hopefully if the weather picks up, I can get this galaxy imaged properly.

Boy has it got bright now, noticed the national news has now picked up on the stories. so much so the neighbours were asking me about it this morning.

post-16631-133877660247_thumb.jpg

I do not have any of the "perks" when it comes to stargazing. My Dob doesn't come with a goto mount and I found it impossible to even see the Pinwheel Galaxy let alone it's supernova because of the glare of the moon. I guess I will miss it entirely since it is supposed to dim in the following days and the moon isn't losing it's shine fast enough.

Oh well,.. there will be other nights and locations.

Isabelle

Thanks Isabelle, it was difficult because of the full moon and low down position over the town and glare.

I think it will be around for a few more weeks yet, the way it has got brighter over the last week or so. Apparently it is possible to see it with bino's, so I am sure you could manage it with a dob.

Good luck

Too much Moon last night for me. I 'think' I could just make out M101 in my 20x80s, but I struggled to get the scope on it, then the clouds moved in again.

Hopefully this storm will move away quick and give me another chance this week.

Great pic btw, I'll have to give it a bash if I find it...

Archived