Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Video/Power Cables revisited

Macavity

Thanks (Psychobilly) for the previous link: T and S Imports Ltd items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores!

Just wondering: There seem to be two BASIC types of cable around generally. "Posh" black BNC/Power cables and "Red/White/Yellow" multiple cables. The price is about the same though! Would the latter suffice for the FIRST link to a camera, over a limited (5m) run. Or should one buy "high quality" BNC video (power) combo cables? :)

Aside: I tried to split / solder one of the latter into a homebrew junction box. Never again! The coax out seemed to be totally solder-repellant and preferred to melt. But then, soldering has rather eluded me, since the advent of lead/flux-free stuff... :)

I've used both the heavy duty BNC cables and the lighter RCA (phono) plugged jobbies and I can see any obvious quality issues on short cables of up to 5m. For me it comes down to how flexible the cable is and the RCA leads usually win. BNC cable is stiff and doesn't stay put too well when taped down. Power leads are the same. Not much current is being drawn by the camera so keep it flexible and thin. Cables that are stiff in the warm will be horrible in winter.

Thank guys. Yes, the stiffness of the "quality" BNC stuff was the issue that was hoping to address. I'm sure it's great for STATIC (longer) CCTV runs, but it doesn't corner too well. :)

I have a cunning plan to try using the redundant audio channel to carry the electric focuser [PWM] power/signal. Since this normally uses screened, mono, audio cable with 3.5mm jacks, I sense it might work. One less "separate" cable, if it does... :)

Archived