Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stellarium Question

rabbithutch

I just looked up M101 in Stellarium (hoping to get outside tonight) to learn where to look for it. (If I read the graphic correctly it will be somewhere just above the handle of The Plough.)

I was somewhat puzzled by the fact that the screen showed "N" (which I take to mean 'North') on the right and "W" (meaning West?). This confuses me no end. I've almost become used to the reversal of images in my Newt and the reversal of compass points on star charts, but juxtaposing North and West on the same line?

?????

:):icon_scratch:

I assume you mean the compass points marked on the line of the equator. Try adjusting your view so that your equator is a horizontal line, then pan round through 360 degrees - you will pass through the compass points same as if you were simply standing outside and turning round on the spot. Or switch on the azimuthal grid or compass marks plugin and read the numbers.

Allan

Thanks to all for the help. I'm not familiar with Stellarium yet, perhaps because I have 4 or 5 other apps that I sometimes use.

Thanks for the location directions for M101, Mike. I'll try to take another look around tonight. LP and viewing limits from trees and buildings might be problems, though.

Archived