Distance learning university module in astronomy recommendation

Hi all,

I am considering doing a distance learning astronomy module to get a more in-depth knowledge of astronomy. From what I gather there are two possibilities:

- University of Central Lancashire Distance Learning Courses in Astronomy, Cosmology and Astrobiology, Education, Study, Studies and University Degrees

- John Moores University Astrophysics Research Institute - Liverpool John Moores University

I would like to know if someone has any experience/suggestions/recommendations about this.

Thanks,

Paulo Matos

I think that the UCLAN ones are all meant to be done over a year, so are bigger.

Many of the JMUL ones are short as in 12 weeks (term) so shorter.

Depends if you just want the course or to get a certification at the end. For the certification you would need to complete sufficent of them. However for certification I believe that the 2 universities work together so you could select from either.

As your signature say Cambridge there is also the possibility of the UCL course that is one evening a week for 2 years to get a certificaation, that one is close to Euston Stn. It is taught and seems well thought of by people I have met that have either completed it or are on it.

I think that the UCLAN ones are all meant to be done over a year, so are bigger.

Many of the JMUL ones are short as in 12 weeks (term) so shorter.

Depends if you just want the course or to get a certification at the end. For the certification you would need to complete sufficent of them. However for certification I believe that the 2 universities work together so you could select from either.

I see, that's good to know that both unis are working together. I was initially tempted to go with JMUL but just because the modules are cheaper. However, I don't want to risk spending time on a crappy module to save a few quid.

I am still eager to hear from someone who knows the modules of either (or both) unis.

As your signature say Cambridge there is also the possibility of the UCL course that is one evening a week for 2 years to get a certificaation, that one is close to Euston Stn. It is taught and seems well thought of by people I have met that have either completed it or are on it.

Thanks for the tips on UCL, however it is close to impossible to go to London so I will have to restrict myself to distance learning.

I've been approached about doing one of these more than once, but I've not bitten yet, as I'm not sure how well a distance learning class would work in a 'hands-on' area of science.

Let us know how your experience goes!

Dan

I completed the Intro to Astronomy university certificate with UCLAN last academic year. The course ran from October to May and covers a broad range of topics, such as positional astronomy, the e.m. spectrum and the related telescopes/satellites that observe at these wavelengths, the sun, stellar evolution, galactic evolution and cosmology.

There were 4 assessed papers, 2 multiple choice and two full experimental write ups/ It doesn't sound much, but they do stretch you, even the multiple choice.

There are also additional non assessed activities mainly involving observations, so that you learn your way round the sky and get into good observation log keeping habits.

The level of maths required is around O'level, a bit of trig, logs/antilogs, scientific noatation to deal with the really big/small numbers. Maths does run through all of the course but not in a 'grind you down' sort of way.

The course notes (provided) are concise and informative and more in depth coverage is provided by the additional reading of the course text book (need to purchase this)

I found the course admin and support excellent. If you pass you do get the certification.

I enjoyed it so much I am now taking the Bsc. My only word of caution, which I am sure applies to all distance learning is, do not underestimate the time that the course requires, if you are also working/have family.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

Thank you very much for all your comments. I have been digging around and one of the things I have noticed is that UCLA enrolment period is over, so I missed that one. Instead of waiting till next year I will probably end up enrolling in the JMUs course.

I am worried that cheaper means worse.. and the JMUs course is cheaper than UCLAs by 40pounds and it's worse 4 more credits (strange!). UCLA said they would accept JMUs credits if I want to proceed to a higher degree in Astronomy.

Still, most of this is for my own pleasure so I might not want to take that route (of a full BSc). I just finished a PhD in Computer Science, I am now working full-time, have a baby daughter and therefore my time is short. However, I think I can manage the 240hours in 9months required to complete the course.

Hopefully it will be a course that will teach me something and give me some more background to do Astronomy as a hobby.

I completed the Intro to Astronomy university certificate with UCLAN last academic year. The course ran from October to May and covers a broad range of topics, such as positional astronomy, the e.m. spectrum and the related telescopes/satellites that observe at these wavelengths, the sun, stellar evolution, galactic evolution and cosmology.

There were 4 assessed papers, 2 multiple choice and two full experimental write ups/ It doesn't sound much, but they do stretch you, even the multiple choice.

There are also additional non assessed activities mainly involving observations, so that you learn your way round the sky and get into good observation log keeping habits.

The level of maths required is around O'level, a bit of trig, logs/antilogs, scientific noatation to deal with the really big/small numbers. Maths does run through all of the course but not in a 'grind you down' sort of way.

The course notes (provided) are concise and informative and more in depth coverage is provided by the additional reading of the course text book (need to purchase this)

I found the course admin and support excellent. If you pass you do get the certification.

I enjoyed it so much I am now taking the Bsc. My only word of caution, which I am sure applies to all distance learning is, do not underestimate the time that the course requires, if you are also working/have family.

Hope that helps.

Great post, I'm starting this module this year. How many hours a week did you study ? The UCLAN info says 200 hours total. Is this accurate ?

Archived