Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello Campers!

coolsox

So... here I am, back from a long weekend camping at the edge of the Peak district in Buxton. I chose a beautiful looking campsite, surrounded by hills and valleys. Perfect for a spot of astronomising...so I thought.

As I waited for day to turn into night, I set my mount up and prepared everything ready for the night ahead, then settled down for an hour or two in my shiny new tent!

At around 9:00pm, I unzipped the door, expecting to see stars so bright I could read a newspaper...instead I was greeted by the same orange murky sky I have at home :D . Just behind one of the hills was the whole village of Buxton, making it's presence known for miles around. As you can imagine I was extremely disappointed (although I did get some of my most spectacular views ever of saturn with my new skywatcher!)

So, can anyone recommend any good campsites in the Peak District or Cornwall that have good dark skies? Do any exist? :D

I found a beautiful dark campsite in the South East of England. Went back a year later to a new boiler house/toilet block. Now fully flood lit dusk to dawn. Asked why, health and safety! They use 3` high posts with lights on top which are so bright you cant see you feet! How is that safe? Orion f6.3

Archived