Vixen Eyepiece Help

G'day All.

I have just recently got back into Astronomy and purchased a second hand older Vixen r150s on a super polaris mount, It came with alot of eyepieces the 4 i donot use are .965 and i guess are the original ones that came with the scope.

1, Or 5mm with a circle with the letter V inside.

2, Or 9mm with a circle with the letter V inside.

3, Or 12.5mm with a circle with the letter V inside.

4, K 20mm with a circle with the letter V inside.

What im wanting to know are they worth keeping, sell them or just put them in the bin as i will never use them,

And one last question what would be the FOV on these eyepieces, Any information about these i would be greatful for.

Cheer Graeme

[quote

And one last question what would be the FOV on these eyepieces, Any information about these i would be greatful for.

Cheer Graeme

Hi Graeme, I certainly wouldn't bin 'em :)

I've dug out an old Vixen catalogue, here are the details on your .965 fitting eyepieces -

1. Or 5mm, 42 deg, 3mm eyerelief, 43g weight.

2. Or 9mm, 40 deg, 7mm eyerelief, 31g weight.

3. Or 12.5mm, 43 deg, 9mm eyerelief, 54g weight.

4. K 20mm, 43 deg, 15mm eyerelief, 43g weight.

HTH, Ed.

I used to have a number of those eyepieces which I used with a Vixen 4" refractor. Optically they are pretty good quality although I did take one of the orthoscopics apart to clean it (the 7mm I think) and it was actually a symmetrical design much closer to the plossl. It still performed petty well although I have to say this was 20+ years ago and I'd not used any eyepieces apart from the awful ones that came with my Tasco 60mm refractor so anything would have seemed better !.

Definately not to be binned though - there is a lot of interest in retro scopes these days and many of those are equipped for .965" eyepieces as standard.

This was my eyepiece set back then - you may recognise some of them !:

post-12764-133877658656_thumb.jpg

Archived