Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Initial guiding suggestions

Dann

All being well I should be taking delivery of the guiding system next week (Orion Star shoot camera and 50mm finder) so ill be trying to get to grips with that.

Does anyone have any advice for a newbie in regards to initial setup/settings etc? I plan to use PHD and the direct ST4 connection from the camera to the mount.

Also, any suggestions for first targets? My camera is unmodified so that rules a few things out.

Thanks

Danny

Danny, in the brain button, settings, on PHD, you need to increase the calibration step. The short focal length means the mount won't move far enough unless you increase. Try at about 2000. I use 3000 with my 400mm ST80 clone.

it's probably worth shooting darks with PHD also, click the take dark button and follow the instructions. That's all I do.

Hi Danny - I agree with John... I have a 9x50 finderguider and was advised to try a default calibration setting of 3500ms - The idea is to set a calibration setting that will give you between 10 and 16 calibration steps in both E/W and N/S.

The other setting to watch out for is min motion - There's a calculation for it - Arc seconds/pixel = (206.3 * ccd pixel size) / focal length. Using a 9x50 finderscope (210mm FL), for me (with pixel size 8.2um), this worked out as follows:

(206.3 * 8.2) / 210 = 8.05 Arc seconds/pixel. We want pixels per Arc second so flip it: 1/8.05 = 0.124 pixels/arcsecond.

As PHD wants sub-pixel movements, divide that number by half a pixel: 0.124 / 2 = 0.06.

(Hope that helps?)

Hi

The only place I could find the package was at SCS Astro Orion Magnificent Mini Autoguider Package - SCS Astro

The initial email I received after ordering stated it may take up to 28 days to deliver but it arrived at my door after only 10 and well packaged.

I considered buying a QHY5 and using an existing finder as it worked out to be cheaper but went for this as I liked that it was everything you needed in one package.

Archived