NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

12" dob setting circle template

iamjulian

I was looking at setting circles for my dob. There are a few methods demonstrated on the web, but when I hit on Mike's post:

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/80995-diy-dob-setting-circles.html

I decided it was too easy not to have a go. I have a 12" skywatcher flex dob and the edge of the base measures 2004mm. The attached A4 pdf includes 8x 45 degree strips, marked in 1 degree increments. I haven't cut them out and tested them, but I measured more than twice, so they should be good to go. If I find they are out, I will edit the .psd file and re-issue this pdf...

If you have a 12" flex dob, or another scope with a base that measures 2004mm then this may save you some measuring. Laminating with 25mm sellotape sounds like a good idea, then double sided sticky tape to attach them to the base. Many thanks to Mike for the idea :)

dob12circle.pdf

They would probably find it even more useful had I got it the right size(!) I was working at a sub millimeter scale in photoshop so it should have been bang on, but it didn't seem to print out at the right size :)

This new attached pdf is a corrected version and should be spot on. I will post an update to confirm once I have it fitted to the base...

dob12circle2.pdf

Archived