NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

3D printed canon EF/1.25" mount

Schorhr

I don't know if it really counts at DIY, accessory or off-topic, but for those owning a 3D printer this might be interesting :-)

EF Mount Module to 1.25 inch telescope focuser by Schorhr - Thingiverse

I took the EF mount module by AlexEnglish and added a simple 1.25" tube to it. Works better then I ever expected!

Unfortunately the weather is not playing along. Every time I managed to get a glimpse of Jupiter, the cloulds came back before I was able to get the camera set up.

It does make a nice and relatively inexpensive telephoto lens out of the 102mm maksutov telescope though, even though I have not painted the adapter black yet!

mak0.jpg

(still without adapter)

mak2.jpg

Not bad, especially as those images where taken through a window and the amici-prism... Outside and perhaps on a more stable mount I believe I can get the images even better (and sharper!)

Also, the T2 adapter I ordered in china arrived now... but still, for taking images through the barlow or while still using it visually inbetween, this self-printed adapter is great!

@Photosbyke: SLS?

@Euan: I believe that will happen sooner or later :-) Still, kits are available for $600, sometimes $500/£300... Or less if you have access to a printer or good mechanical skills... and access to usable eletronics.

But all in all, they require a lot of tinkering :-)

I was lucky and able to buy a pp3dp UP+ for half the price... Still a lot of money, but not much more then an essambled reprap back then. The quality is awesome though!

One of my next projects will be to more or less print a dobsonian telescope frame for the cheap 76mm mirrors (Astromedia newtonian cardboard kit) :-)

Goal is to make a vest pocket travelscope, just for the fun of it.

Ah, okey!

Cool stuff. Only read about it... but probably not very suitable for home/desktop use ;-)

WIth FDM; sometimes the strength of the parts is an issue... But I am happy with it, the machine is capable of more then I have thought.

Archived