Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bhatinov/Y mask for camera lens?

rocketandroll

Hi all

Is it possible to make, or is there somewhere I can buy, a Bhatinov mask for a camera lens?

I need to make sure the focus is right on my 200mm L series lens and I'm guessing a mask for it would be a good bet.

Do I recall there's an online resource for putting in the details of the scope you need it for (I assume objective diameter and focal length?) and it generates a mask you can print out?

Also, odd question but how critical is the design of the mask, and it's centrality to the scope, to achieve focus? I have a mask for an ED80 and was wondering if it'd be viable to use it on my megrez 72? Or should I get/make a new one for the Meg?

Cheers folks

Ben

It will work.. you might notice that the diffraction spikes show a spectrum but that's the only downside...

alignment doesnt appear to be that critical...

I made (well a laser cutter cut it) a Multi-Y for my zoom camera lenses as this works down to 70mm FL the traditional bahtinov design would have meant very narrow slots and bars

fobVxT4

Here's what it produces...

mzqT8lP

Peter...

That's what I need.... how did you design it? Is there some clever software somewhere?

And you don't need that laser cut, photo-etching would do that in a cinch! (I use photo etched steel and brass in model making all the time)

Must get some designed and made up... mean time, need something for tonight, so it may involve card and a scalpel :-)

Ben

Archived