New 130P SynScan Goto - setting up

Hi All,

My father has got the above telescope and we are lost in a sea of technical terms.

If the following was our gps location how would we enter it into the SynScan?

Lat. 50.90029 Long. -1.3444888

Any help would be appreciated, we can read the sky for basic alignment but not sure on this.

Just had a look on Google Earth and the co-ord on there are in the format you need.

For example my location is 51degrees 35' 27.37'' N

2degrees 43' 08.59'' W

These on a GOTO are entered 002degrees 43' W

51degrees 35' N

West is first followed by north

The date is set in the American format - month/day/year

The next is a time scale (+00:00) change this to +01:00 , this is because we are in BST

Then set "daylight saving" to yes.

Hope that helps

The next is a time scale (+00:00) change this to +01:00 , this is because we are in BST

Hope that helps

So you add an hour because we are in BST, then tell the controller to deduct the hour to get back to GMT by selecting daylight saving... I find it simpler to enter the time as GMT and say NO to daylight saving... either way it should give the same result

I agree, it does seem wierd but i was leaving it at +00:00 and setting daylight saving to yes, as you would this time of year, but was 15 degrees out in the EP, which is about an hour,

I then thought i'l try something by setting it to +01:00 and still say yes to daylight saving, and it worked!!

don't know why but things were good, spot on so i just keep doing it, god knows what will happen when the clocks go back

Just had a look on Google Earth and the co-ord on there are in the format you need.

For example my location is 51degrees 35' 27.37'' N

2degrees 43' 08.59'' W

These on a GOTO are entered 002degrees 43' W

51degrees 35' N

West is first followed by north

The date is set in the American format - month/day/year

Hope that helps

Don't set the time zone to +01.00, this should remain as 0.00 for the UK. When the handset asks for DST select YES.

Peter

Don't set the time zone to +01.00, this should remain as 0.00 for the UK. When the handset asks for DST select YES.

Peter

Yeah, that's what I thought. That the time zone in essence relates to a corresponding longitude either side of the GM. So in effect by adding an hour you are placing the setting as if located in central Europe, which at this time of year is +2 hrs ahead of GMT.

I've always selected 00,00 for the time zone and then said no to daylight saving, and then entered the time as GMT rather than BST (ie deducted the hour)

Interestingly, if using EQMOD, I wonder where it takes it's timing from (BIOS clock - windows local settings ?) and how it compensates for daylight saving ??

Archived