Milky way magnitude advice.

Hi All

Dose anyone know what magnitude the Milky way is ? I have always noticed it more during the summer months despite the lighter skies. I put this down to the high position in the sky. What surprises me is that I notice it at all given the bad LP around my way. I would estimate general seeing and transparency to allow mag 3.5 - 3.75 by naked eye. I know this is going to sound stupid as I can see it but is it correct to say the Milky way is of a similar magnitude. What would be the lowest naked eye magnitude before the MW is no longer visible I guess is what I'm trying to ask. Am I right in saying I can't see it during winter due to the low position in the sky or is it because the air is ?tighter? during the colder months?

Thanks all.

Don't get me wrong it's not blatantly obvious. This said I can make out the dust lane through Cygnus and watch as it slowly moves around the sky during the night.

same place for me. i have only seen it once from the UK, it was passing through cygnus and a dust lane was visible as it was blocking the light, it was an exceptionally clear night, good 7/10 seeing and transparency and it was just visible, i would have said mag 4.5 for that bit...but it was pretty faint, almost indistinguishable from a high altitude wispy cloud.

Archived