Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How long exposure can one have withouth moving the telescope.

Cloengaa

The answer depends on the focal length of the scope really.

I'd think, with a very short fl refractor you might get five or six seconds?

With a longer fl reflector you'd probably be doing well to get 3 seconds.

Id say give it a try, see what you can manage.

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

As Ben has said above, taking images with your camera attached to your telescope wont allow for very long exposures before star trailing becomes obvious.

Widefield shots with an 18-55mm lens for example would allow for longer exposures.

I do have the motor for the explorer 130m the RA motor but I am not sure if it works.

According to the plan that followed it I have it attached on the other side of the axis from where the picture says it should be from the building plan. Its attached as it should be but its like mirrored from the building plan.

I do have the motor for the explorer 130m the RA motor but I am not sure if it works.

According to the plan that followed it I have it attached on the other side of the axis from where the picture says it should be from the building plan. Its attached as it should be but its like mirrored from the building plan.

That might be ok if you can choose which direction it runs in. It'll need to run in the opposite to the normal direction if it's on the opposite side of the mount.

That'd really help if you can get that up and running.... with an RA motor you should manage 30 sec subs I'd have thought.

A 130M won't really give you 'widefield' as it's a fairly long focal length reflector... try pointing it at something bright like one of the globular clusters, you can get something on those even with fairly short exposures.

Without the RA motor I think you'd be pushing it to get 4 seconds really, before the stars start trailing horribly.

Get the RA working and you'll be set to get some reasonable results I'd think.

Ben

Actually funny enough I had the installation of the RA motor here. It is sitting on the right side.

Now just asking for advice here. I would think I have to polealign the mount to use the RA motor. Any guide to polealign an EQ2 mount ?

Hehe I am pretty far up in Sweden but still more than 1800 km to the pole.

Maps.google.com and put in Söderhamn, Sverige

I think Only meant imaging objects nearer Polaris (the center of rotation) is easier than objects further out as the apparent movement over time is less.

I don't think your geographical location will make much difference.

If you don't have a polar scope in the mount then the best you can do is to try and get Polaris as central as you can in the polarscope hole I think.

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Hmm I have a slight problem....I am using my telescope from en eastern turned balcony, so I guess I cant really polaralign it.

But I will try and take about 5 secs or less avis. at a time tonight and see what comes of it.

Archived