Beginner's mount advice

Hi all

I wondered if you can help. I recently acquired a Skywatcher Skymax 127 with a Alt-Azimuth GoTo Mount. I have been enjoying this however now would like to start getting into the astro-photography elements, particularly (hopefully!) some deep sky objects.

I wondered therefore if anyone can suggest a suitable equatorial mount that might be suitable. At present I've been looking at the Skywatcher EQ3 that, whilst I've read isn't the most stable, might be adequate for my purposes.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mike

I would second that. The Skymax is a nice visual scope and fine for lunar and planetary shots with a webcam, but at 1,500mm focal length you would need a serious mount for deep sky. If you are serious about getting into AP then think about an 80ED on an HEQ5 to start with instead.

Thank you for suggestions. I admit the initial purchase was really to just start looking at the sky - it was only after I started looking that I thought I'd like to take pictures as well.

I think I may well sell my current scope and reinvest into a setup slightly more suited.

Thanks all for your help.

From what people have been telling me get a web cam and do some stacked images say over 25 seconds or so tracking with the alt az. It will let you get a start without spending a lot of money and good way to get e feel for the techniques/ use the software.

the minimum for deep sky is the heq5 to get guiding and the load bearing capacity isnt sufficent on anything less.It must be an equitorial mount as the alt az will introduce field rotation. If u are going to be starting astrophotography imo the eq3 is a waste of money although you will be able to do planatery and lunar avi's with a webcam.

Agree with the above. HEQ5 + 80ED (SW/Orion/WO). But you have SW127 already. Go for either HEQ5 or NEQ6 - equatorial mounts.

Alt Az mounts will suffer from field rotation and there's notalot you can do about it.

The best help anyone can give is to buy "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards - from FLO. It'll be the best £20 you will spend. That's where I started.

I fully endorse Oldgit's recommendation of Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) Modestly priced and full of great info on what kit kit and why. Everyone is seduced with the idea of 'taking pictures' but it very quickly becomes quite a steep learning curve. Remember that data collecting (pressing the shutter) is one thing, data processing to help produce the final image is another with a lot of free and some costly software to be had. Using a webcam for planets and the moon is great and reasonably straight forward whereas deep sky imaging (galaxies, nebula etc) is a bit more tricky.

Get the book, get a handles on the bigger picture and then you will feel happier making your choices.

James

Archived