Better late than never....!

Jupiter sketch

10 August 2011

00-50UT to 01-45UT

Seeing: AII

Sys I: 237 degrees approx

Sys II: 273 degrees approx

Jupiter-10Aug2011.png

My best view of Jupiter this apparition, and what I suspect is my best view of the planet in my 12" scope. I had done some fine-tuning to the collimation earlier in the evening (mainly because I landed it heavily on the ground after almost dropping it!!!!), and combined with the really decent seeing, I got a superb view.

So much detail in the NEB with a dark spot protruding off the northern element just past the CM, as well as darker dots across the band. The SEB was split into a northern and southern component for almost half its length. Interesting how wisps of material seemed to form waves on its southern boundary. The northern boundary of the SEB was very dark and linear.

NTB and NNTB clearly seen. Most detail I have ever captured in the NNTB with a line of three small spots protruding northwards on the following segement of the band. NTZ and NNTZ all clearly seen. A brighter area seemed to be present on the southern edge of the NPR.

All in all a breathtaking sight :)

Archived