NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Darkening an image

Hi there everyone,

Ive just been out taking some images. After running them trhough deepsky stacker i put the final image into photoshop. I start using curves, a couple of times in a row since the image is very dark. The image starts getting brighter and i use some levels. After doing levels -> curves, 2 times the image is kinda bright and i want to use levels. But i cant since i will loose data if i use levels more.

So my questien is. When i get to a point where i cannot use levels anymore but my image is still to bright, what do i do? I can see loads of details when using curves but i cant darken the image :S

Hope you understand my complicated problem :)

/Lukas

Hi Lukas,

This can be a problem it would be good to see an image to just see how bad the problem is.

In curves if you hover the mouse over the outside of the target within the image a ghost square is shown on hte curves line use this as an anchor point and click on the the line in this area. Place the mouse half way between this point and the bottom of the line an pull down slighly to darken the background.

Gradients can be a problem and there is a superb plug in for photoshop to get rid of those and even the sky background its called Gradient Xterminator by Russel Cronan and is well worth investing in

Dave

There is a clear explanation of levels and curves on Rob's website, here.

Middlehill Observatory, Dorset UK. The Astrophotography of Rob Hodgkinson.

The key thing in levels is not to clip data. Keep some flat data line left of the start of the main peak.

Maybe you have a lot of light pollution in the image? This might be the excessive brightness you are talking about. I'd post an image in the Image Processing Help and Advice section.

Olly

ollypenrice's Photos

Archived