Unruly C6 NGT Controller

Just got a celestron C6 NGT off e-bay. had 1 opportunity to use it a couple of nights ago but had trouble with what seemed like random acts of the goto system sending the scope in directions I didn't want it to go accompanied by a 'no response' message on the controller screen. After a couple of seconds of pressing the direction buttons I could get it under controll by which time I'd lost the object I was looking at. Am I doing something wrong or do I have a dodgy controller? Any help gratefully received!

It could be numerous issues. Is your mount getting the 2.5 amps it needs to work properly, the cigarette adapter is often inadequate for power (buy an AC adapter). Are you polar aligning your scope? Are you set up in the EQ North setting? Is your latitude and longitude properly set? Can you do a Two Star Alignment without issue? Are the objects your slewing to well above the horizon? I only ask because I learned the hard way with each of these issues when I got my CG5, I almost sent it back but I was patient and worked my way through it. My biggest issue was the power supply, I used the cigarette lighter adapter it came with and my mount would constantly reset and move out of control. I learned by buying an AC Adapter from Celestron that the cigarette adapter has a difficult time delivering the amount of power needed for the mount. Good luck and post again when you can test it out again.

I think the power supply may be the answer - I was given a 12V / 1.7A mains adapter with the scope that seemed to do the job but from what johnnyD333 suggests this won't be up to the job. I'll get a Celestron supply and see how I get on (sorry for taking a while to reply - have been away). When I get it up & running I'll post an update but either way thanks for the replies.

1.7A isnt enough for the mount and you will get problems. Theres no real need for a celestron PSU as you can just pop along to Maplins and get a 12v 5A PSU for about 25 - 30 pounds which comes with a cigarette lighter socket.

But while youre there, you might want to future proof and get a bench supply - just in case you want to run dew heaters, CCDs etc...

PS: You might also want to invest in some sort of surge protection, Ive found that power spikes from fridges/freezers can upset the mount too. Fingers crossed, Ive had no problems since I installed the surge protector on my setup.

Archived